The history of Camp Hero can be divided into 4 general periods. For The Early Years, the years prior to 1942, we have very little information and no photographs available on our site at this time. Major construction and expansion took place during the Coast Defense period ranging from 1942-1957. Starting in 1956 the property was transitioned from the Army to the Air Force and this is where the Air Force period begins. Then, in 1984, the base was closed and the park again went through a change in ownership, this time being received by the State of New York and entering into the Camp Hero State Park period.